Monday, October 17, 2016

Avery K Tingle, The Gamer Author

On Breaking Up (In Writing)

Today, I finished the first draft of my alternate history fantasy "Hand of God", the first official story in the Era of the Scourge series. I figured I could leap right into the supernatural mystery thrillers "Agoura Territory", and "Agoura Hills".


The final word count for the first draft of alternate history fantasy "The Hand of God"


Something funny happened when I closed Hand of God, though. I tried to open the Agoura Duology and found myself stymied for words.

Some people describe a hollow feeling when they complete a project. I get that now. Closing Hand of God felt akin to a breakup. Not a bad one, but when two people reach the end of the road and agree with pained smiles that it's time to move on.

Even when done amicably, it still hurts.

That's when I closed the Agoura Duology to write this post.

When Hand of God was finished, the plan was to take a few days off. I've been so consumed by this story that I figured that I could use the time to recharge. But it's more than that.

The act of writing is a tremendous expense of energy, during which time you run the gamut from dangerously depressing to euphoria no stimulant can take you (trust me on that last one). When you do it right, you become a conduit to an imaginary world, and a whole slew of imaginary people and your words are the medium in which you are bringing these characters, and that world, to life.

Finishing that story means you have to say goodbye to those characters for a little while. Goodbyes hurt.

Finishing a story can be just as hard as beginning one; I learned that today. Jumping from one story to another is like leaping from relationship to relationship without taking any time to mourn the previous one.

If you've just finished a book, or a story, or a game, or what have you, take a little time to breathe, cherish the memories, and put it to bed before moving onto the next project. Your fans will thank you for the effort.

In the meantime, I'll return to Hand of God in January 2017 and take a few days before leaping back into the Agoura Duology.

Thanks for reading.

Avery K. Tingle is the author of scifi/romance the Anniversary. Titles are available on Nook and Kobo too. If you’re new to Kobo, you can get both stories for free!

Avery K Tingle, The Gamer Author

About Avery K Tingle, The Gamer Author

Author Description here.. Nulla sagittis convallis. Curabitur consequat. Quisque metus enim, venenatis fermentum, mollis in, porta et, nibh. Duis vulputate elit in elit. Mauris dictum libero id justo.

Subscribe to this Blog via Email :