Creative Commons

Friday, September 2, 2016

Avery K Tingle, The Gamer Author

On Facebook: Just Because No One Is Liking...

Social media can be a tough board to break. It feels like screaming into the void; you put all this time and effort into this epic content, you throw it up on your blog, your fan pages, and then...nothing happens.

Oh dear Zod, why am I doing this to myself? You may ask. It can be torturous, putting everything you have into something only to have no one appear to care what you're doing.

Well, this post is for you.

I've managed a Facebook Fan page for three or four years now. I've managed to garner over twelve hundred people there, and the interaction fluctuates largely because I've put no money into boosting posts or the like. This will change next year. But right now, yeah, I just don't have the money. And if you don't have the money, Facebook will ignore you like the hot girl/guy at school.

It can make you want to quit.

But one thing I've learned over the years is that just because no one is liking or commenting, DOESN'T MEAN NO ONE IS SEEING YOUR POSTS. Quite the opposite in fact.

Case study. I've got a little hype going for my new supernatural YA Thriller Agoura Hills. A couple of people in particular have been clamoring for it. So when one of them asked me publicly to get to work on the book, on a lark, I snipped the image and threw it up on my fan page.

I got one like--typical--but I was shocked to see that almost five hundred people saw the post. That's almost half of the people on the page. I'm tempted to boost it just to see what happens.

Just because no one is liking doesn't mean no one is seeing.


We live in an era of endless, soulless sequels, and an era where anyone with an internet connection can become a published author. I've learned that people are hungry for good stories, but also apprehensive. Will you finish what you begin? (Thank you, Yoda). Are you taking this seriously? Are you worth spending money on?

People are almost always paying attention to what you have to say--that's what your fan page is for--but you're going to have to earn your interactions just like the rest of us.

Don't give up.
Keep writing.
Keep posting.

Are you worth investing into?
Prove it.

Thanks for reading.

Avery K. Tingle is the author of scifi/romance the Anniversary. Titles are available on Nook and Kobo too. If you’re new to Kobo, you can get both stories for free!
Sign up for the Hidden Level newsletter and get weekly updates, writing advice, and a free short story.


Avery K Tingle, The Gamer Author

About Avery K Tingle, The Gamer Author -

Author Description here.. Nulla sagittis convallis. Curabitur consequat. Quisque metus enim, venenatis fermentum, mollis in, porta et, nibh. Duis vulputate elit in elit. Mauris dictum libero id justo.

Subscribe to this Blog via Email :