Friday, August 26, 2016

You Have To Love The Challenge.




The truth is, there are no shortcuts in the indie publishing business. Experience yields faster, and better results, you can avail yourself to the experts and heed their advice, but the fact is, you have to love the work.

For example.
This day job is the most challenging I've ever had. Gone are the days of writing between long stretches of nothing. Someone told me that learning here was like taking in water from a fire hose. I liken it more to traveling at lightspeed while holding onto the hull.

Yesterday, I was pissed. It was the end of the day, I was stuck in The Neverending Task, and I didn't feel like I was picking things up as quickly as I should've been. Bear in mind, this was a job I wanted and fought for. Yesterday, I just wanted to flush the day and go home.

So as we're nearing the end, the guy training me (who's about as sick of this as I am) asks me if I can finish on my own. Reflexively, I reply "Yeah, I got this."

I freeze.
I didn't mean to say that. I don't got this. I don't even know what this is. Don't leave me here alone. I'll unleash Skynet or something.

I didn't unleash Skynet.
Something strange happened.

Left alone, I started to get it. Wax-on/wax-off turned into karate (ten points if you get that reference)
Things made sense. I knew where things were supposed to go and how to make them look nice. I got the job done.
Today the work was no less difficult, but the process was a little easier.

There really are no shortcuts, no easy roads. Somewhere along the line, you have to make up your mind that the reward is in meeting the challenge. And then meeting the next one. And the one after that.

And maybe, you'll succeed.

Thanks for reading.

0 comments: