Friday, February 19, 2016

Avery K Tingle, The Gamer Author

Indie Authors: You Deserve To be Paid.

**WARNING! STRONG LANGUAGE.**

So here I am, minding my own business, trying to shake this damn head cold and going through my feeds. I'm not in a good mood. I'm restless. I want to go back to the gym but my body just isn't up for it.

So upon browsing the feed of good friend, fellow indie author, and Talaria Press Co-Founder Heather Reasby, I come across this.

And I am pissed.

I hadn't been freelancing for long when I landed a client who had unrealistic expectations. Trying to establish myself, I agreed to work for free, initially, because she came off so nice. She had such high hopes for this mega-series she wanted to do. And she was so nice. Just so nice.

So when I was midway through the first book and asked for money, she was aghast. Think of the exposure! She said. Think of everyone who will notice you! She said.

I want to punch her in the face, now.

I didn't get paid for that work. It was the last work I ever did that I did not get paid for.

I don't know where this stigma came from that it's wrong to pay writers for their time and efforts, but it needs to stop. To see someone actually proud of the fact that they're not paying their contributors, while pulling in millions of dollar per year, is disgusting.

Let me make this clear.
I don't care if you're just starting out, or if you've been in the business for fifteen years. Unless you designate otherwise (please don't), your writing is not a hobby. It is a mind-bending, soul-charring endeavor that you deserve the be financially compensated for.

You are not doing this for the exposure. Keep doing what you're doing, the exposure will come, I promise.

You are good at what you do. You deserve to be paid for it.

So when someone comes to me now, and asks me to write for them for the promise that everyone will see me, and it will lead to more work, I respond in the most rational, intelligent, and appropriate manner possible.




Quite astute, don't you think?

Don't sell yourself short.

Your time and efforts are worth money. The more of both you put in, the more of the latter will come in.

Thanks for reading.

Era of the Scourge: Reclamation is a dark epic fantasy in the Universal Warrior series that harkens back to a time when our world was under the tyrannical rule of the forerunners to the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse. In "Reclamation", join a betrayed herald and a naive Angel as the two journey to retake what was stolen. Their actions will reignite a war that will decide the fate of our world.
 Action/fantasy in the same vein as the Chronicles of Narnia.
Era of the Scourge: Reclamation drops for all e-readers on February 28, 2016 for $2.99.
Pre-order now for Kindle, Nook, Kobo, and iTunes!
Sign up for the Feral Inception newsletter for writing and self-publishing tips, inspirational stories, discounts and free stuff! Sign up now and get chance to win a Samsung Galaxy Tab 8!



Avery K Tingle, The Gamer Author

About Avery K Tingle, The Gamer Author

Author Description here.. Nulla sagittis convallis. Curabitur consequat. Quisque metus enim, venenatis fermentum, mollis in, porta et, nibh. Duis vulputate elit in elit. Mauris dictum libero id justo.

Subscribe to this Blog via Email :