Creative Commons

Friday, October 30, 2015

Avery K Tingle, The Gamer Author

Changing Perceptions One Incident at a Time





I'm still on hiatus while finishing Era of the Scourge: Reclamation, but I felt this was too important not to be shared. 

The story below happened to me on September 23, 2015. I discovered a similar story that recently went viral and decided to share them both. Based on what we see in the media, it's very easy to believe that all cops are bad guys and all people of color are criminals. That's just not the case. In most cases, treat people with respect, and you'll get it back in return.  


A state trooper had me dead to rights today.

I was carpooling with a friend, trying to make it to work on time and pushing the needle past ninety on the highway. An undercover state trooper rolls up behind me and lingers there long enough to make me uncomfortable.

I surreptitiously lower my speed. He stays behind me. At this point, I assume he's running my plates. I wait for the high pitch wail of the sirens and the telltale, patriotic, epileptic-seizure-inducing lights.
I figure he's got me. I'm doing ninety in a seventy. I have no excuses.

Then, he pulls around my right, gives me a look, and continues about his way.
I'm a black man who stands at six three and weighs two fifty. The cop could just as easily have racially profiled me, pulled me over, given me a ticket, and ruined my day. Instead he chose to let me go.

I tell this story as a cautionary tale. Not all police officers are bad. Not all people of color are criminals. Stop lumping people together, categorising, and looking for excuses to discriminate. Take one person, one situation at a time, STOP and THINK. You may change someone's opinion. You may save lives.

Stop judging and start thinking.

Steven Hildreth also relayed the story of his recent traffic stop, which is rightfully getting a lot of attention.

Thanks for reading.

Avery K Tingle, The Gamer Author

About Avery K Tingle, The Gamer Author -

Author Description here.. Nulla sagittis convallis. Curabitur consequat. Quisque metus enim, venenatis fermentum, mollis in, porta et, nibh. Duis vulputate elit in elit. Mauris dictum libero id justo.

Subscribe to this Blog via Email :