Monday, July 20, 2015

Indie Authors: What Drives You?

I’ve been spending a lot of time with Bob Mayer’s “Write ItForward: From Writer To Successful Author”. This is unlike any how-to book on writing, and I recommend it for anyone pursuing the craft. Brutally and beautifully blunt, straightforward, with practical advice from a man who cut his teeth in special forces, this book spends a great deal of time drilling down to core of why we write; discovering our true motivations for writing so we can chase our goals down.

One of the best books on writing I've ever read. 


Reading this book (I’m about halfway through it) forced me to do a lot of self-examination that eventually helped me become better at what I do (I hope). The key question is; what drives you?
I challenge you to dig deeper. Yes, you’d like to make money with your writing. Yes, you’d like to make a bestseller list. But what’s beneath all of that? What is really at the core of your motivation?

For me, the answer was simple.

I love my phone. It’s relatively new, as new as most technology can be these days. I wake up and have instant access to my email, news, and most important messages without ever having touched the thing. Yet, once a day, I would gladly trade all the coffee in the world for five minutes with Mjolnir so I could bash the thing into a fine crystal powder.

"The Samsung Galaxy Fine Crystal Powder" just doesn't have a good ring to it.


That time is right around 0430; when my alarm sounds, jerking me from whatever world my subconscious has taken me too and forcing me back to this one.

With every fiber of my being, I cannot stand alarm clocks. I loathe them so much that I often wake up a few moments beforehand just so I can preempt it. More than virtually anything in the world, including brake-tappers and decaf coffee, I cannot abide alarm clocks.

This is the core of my motivation, and once I realized this, I became a lot more productive.
I believe that if I continue to work and produce content that people enjoy, I will arrive at a day where I can unset my alarm—and never set it again.

I am working as hard as I can for that day.

If you don’t know why you’re doing what you do, you may find yourself flailing in the dark.
But once you have a target, you can hit it.
Thanks for reading.


Avery K. Tingle is a brand-new writing coach and author of multiple short stories across varying genres. Epic fantasy Era of the Scourge Book 1: The Ring of Asarra was named a recommended read by Amazon. Scifi/Romance The Anniversary was just released in paperback. You can also read urban drama The Price of Justice for free.

Sign up for thenewsletter, never miss another post, and get more free stuff and discounts than his business manager is comfortable handing out.


0 comments: