Monday, June 1, 2015

CBS Hits A New Low With "The Briefcase"

"The Briefcase"


I'm an American citizen and I believe in the American Dream.

What I mean is that I sincerely believe that if I work hard enough, long enough, I will achieve financial freedom and stability. I don't believe my fate is in anyone else's hands. I do not make excuses. My life is a result of the actions I take. I look at what I've achieved thus far as a writer, and believe I will be much further along in five years if I keep up the work.

Then, I see complete and utter shite like the Briefcase, a new reality "show" from CBS, and it makes me want to punch something. It is one thing to know in the back of your mind that you're the playthings of the one percent, but it's quite another to have your face rubbed in it.

Hearkening the death of the middle class as it's now peddled as entertainment (ugh), the Briefcase pits two financially-strapped families against one another by offering one of them one hundred and one thousand dollars in a fucking briefcase (because CBS wanted to be sure that you understood where the title came from. Because CBS thinks you are stupid.) Here's the catch; only one family receives the money. They can decide to keep it all, give it all away, give some away, and so forth.

Now, just to make things truly despicable, the family with the money is fed the occasional tidbit about the other family's situation. Such as where they stand financially. Who they owe. What might happen if they don't get the money.

Doesn't that sound like fun? So one family gets financial freedom (for a moment) at the expense of appearing like heartless jackals or they could be broke, magnanimous saints.

Bet you just can't wait to see that, right?

The premise is about two shades away from the Hunger Games with a similar ending, from my point of view. This is sick, flagrantly disrespectful, exploitative television at its lowest. You put people trying to survive in a hopeless no win situation for ratings?

So fuck you, CBS. Fuck you and the Briefcase.

Forgive the language. I know I don't often cuss here.

Thanks for reading.

3 comments:

Rachel Tsoumbakos said...

The Hunger Games is awesome because it is fantasy and escapism. This. This is just mean and cruel :-(

Albert Fiscaletti said...

I used to think that the networks were scraping the bottom. I am now certain that there is no bottom. WTF?

Avery Tingle said...

I don't like to cuss, if I can help it. But there's simply no other substitution for this tripe. It's cruel exploitative, and has the audacity of pedaling this off as showing the bright side of humanity by dangling carrots before the horse. I don't know what's worse, the fact that someone had the idea or that bigwigs approved it.

No, wait. I know what's worse. The fact that it's still on the air.