Creative Commons

Friday, January 9, 2015

Avery K Tingle, The Gamer Author

Promoting Fiction: Sales Vs. Exposure (An Anecdote)




When I released my short story Universal Warrior: The Ring of Asarra late last year, I had modest ambitions. I only wanted to sell a certain amount of copies. Day one sales weren't what I was hoping for, so I adjusted the price and sales blossomed. I steadily sell about one copy per day.

So yesterday, I was checking my Amazon Sales Dashboard and the numbers weren't adding up. A fellow writer warned me that something like this might happen, but there's nothing that can prepare for the idea of being ripped off.

So I call in my girlfriend, who's far better at math than I am. After going over the dashboard, she shrugs and says something that resonates;

"Who cares? This is your first book. It was never going to make you rich or even much money at all. Right now, we want people reading your story. It doesn't matter how they're getting it. Every person that reads it and enjoys it spreads your name. That's what we want right now. Free marketing."

She then promptly dropped the mic and left the room.

It got me thinking; the Ring of Asarra is my first work for the paid market in my own name. Its exceeded sales goals and continues to sell. Amazon made it a recommended read and I have two positive reviews.

My experiences with the Ring of Asarra reinforce the truth about first-time authors. Chances are you won't make it big on your first title, or even your fifth. The idea is to build something that people will love and then continue building to keep them hooked.

Walk before you run.
Hard, hard work before exposure and then hopefully sales.

We all have a long road ahead.

Thanks for reading.


Universal Warrior: The Ring of Asarra is a short story available for $1.79 at the following links;

Amazon

Barnes & Noble

iBooks

Kobo

Sign up for the newsletter and never miss another post. Get updates about my writing and learn how to promote your own fiction. Send me an email to atingle at aktinout dot com and I promise to never spam you or sell your info.

Avery K Tingle, The Gamer Author

About Avery K Tingle, The Gamer Author -

Author Description here.. Nulla sagittis convallis. Curabitur consequat. Quisque metus enim, venenatis fermentum, mollis in, porta et, nibh. Duis vulputate elit in elit. Mauris dictum libero id justo.

Subscribe to this Blog via Email :

1 comments:

Write comments
Lee Capp
AUTHOR
January 9, 2015 at 12:16 PM delete

Sometimes I have 'spicions myself Avery. It is amazing to me that my two novels can sell so well on Nook (Barnes and Noble) and virtually nothing on Kindle (Amazon). Amazon also tells me that no one (no one!) has clicked on an Amazon link on my website, although they seem to be clicking constantly on the Google ads right next to them. One wonders.

Reply
avatar