Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Avery K Tingle, The Gamer Author

Why I Dropped Out Of NaNoWriMo 2014




I've been doing NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month) for almost ten years now, and while I haven't completed the challenge every year, this is the first year I've actively backed out. While I love the endeavor and plan to return to it next year, I simply cannot do it now. Here's why.

1). I'm Fresh Off Of A Brand-New Publication

On November 3, I published my second dark epic fantasy novella Universal Warrior: The Ring of Asarra. This is the first work I've ever charged for under my own name. Whoever said writing was half the work of an indie author wasn't kidding. Beyond the writing and publishing of the novella, I'm completely responsible for all of my own marketing, and to be honest, I never thought about what I'd do after the novella was released. So I find myself scrambling to build from the initial surge and raise awareness (and hopefully sales) for the story.
It's almost a full-time venture on its own.

2). I'd Rather Focus On One Excellent Project Than Three Average Ones

Recently, I had to concede that I'm not ready to write a full-fledged novel. I'm not sure if it's a mental block, fear of failure, or whatever. I have a hard time keeping track of so many events and characters in a single story, and it led to many unfinished projects (that I will complete one day).

What I can do, I've found, is write novellas (between 22-25k words) that tie together into one larger tale. I initially wanted to do two novellas and one short story this month, and about a third of the way through the first novella, I realized that there was no way I could complete three novellas worth reading.

I am establishing a brand based on quality, rather than quantity. My entire focus is to one quality project at a time instead of churning out three pieces of garbage that drain editing time and resources.

3). I Can't Push Life Out Of The Way This Time

I am starting a new life across the state with my girlfriend and (God willing) my youngest son. I am very close to gaining full custody of him. I am also entering the final stages of my divorce (which I imagine is like the end of DC's Final Crisis, when Darkseid was falling through reality and taking everything with him). Traditionally, I could brush aside everything and back-burner the day job to make NaNoWriMo happen, but with people depending on my actions, I cannot be that reckless anymore.

I love NaNoWriMo and I've met some truly wonderful people during the endeavor. I recommend it for everyone who's even thought about writing a book, but don't be ashamed if you can't make the goal.

There's always next year.

Thanks for reading.


Avery K Tingle, The Gamer Author

About Avery K Tingle, The Gamer Author

Author Description here.. Nulla sagittis convallis. Curabitur consequat. Quisque metus enim, venenatis fermentum, mollis in, porta et, nibh. Duis vulputate elit in elit. Mauris dictum libero id justo.

Subscribe to this Blog via Email :

3 comments

Write comments
Lee Capp
AUTHOR
November 12, 2014 at 9:58 AM delete

It is tough to write a full-length novel. #2 reason is a Bear, but #3 is a Ring-tailed Bitch. Real life just NEVER stops getting in the way. Best of luck in your move, your marketing, and your writing. Do what you can manage for now. Write Novellas in series. Why not? They are very good. String enough together and you might just have a TV series. Stranger things have happened. Most of all, never lose the Faith. You have to believe things will get better. Take care now.

Reply
avatar
Wendy
AUTHOR
November 12, 2014 at 10:26 AM delete

I'm sorry you did not come back to Nanowrimo this year, but it sounds like you have a full plate! Good luck with your current projects. :)

Reply
avatar
Dan Waltz
AUTHOR
November 14, 2014 at 8:26 AM delete

I feel your pain. I just finished up and released last years NaNoWriMo novel (ASH, Like a a Tattoo) 4 days ago myself. I found it very hard to change gears when the excitement of finishing one that you worked so had on is still so fresh. I maybe dropping out as well as it has put me too far behind and my attention is still on ASH and marketing. Good luck with your book. Like you said, there's always next year.

Reply
avatar