Creative Commons

Friday, November 21, 2014

Avery K Tingle, The Gamer Author

Three Lessons Learned From My First Release

The initial goal was simple; complete and publish a project.
I knew I wasn't going to get rich. I didn't even expect to make what I did. I just wanted to complete and publish something that I believed was worth paying for.

Well, mission accomplished.

When Universal Warrior: The Ring of Asarra hit Amazon and other retailers, the secondary goal became to sell a certain number of copies. Goal obtained in the first few days, and was feeling pretty good about myself.

Then, reality hit like Thor's hammer.

Of the seven copies I sold, one was returned. I have not sold a single copy since.

I have to admit, this was almost disheartening. I've read all the horror stories about indies who only manage to sell one book a month and fade into obscurity. I was mentally prepared--to a point--to see the sales eventually die off.

Preparing for something and then having that event happen are two very different things.

So these past few days, I dove back into the story, did some research, and this what I plan to apply to my next endeavor.

1). Make Sure You Know What You're Selling

I pitched the Ring of Asarra as a novella. I was wrong.
Writer's Digest defines a novella as anything from 30,000 words to 50,000, while a short story runs anywhere from 1,500 to 30,000 words. The Ring of Asarra clocks in at just under 27,000 words. It's a short story, and I should have presented it as such. That being said..

2). Price Appropriately

Had I done my research, I might've had a different result in my opening week. The Ring of Asarra is priced too high for a short story. The price is more appropriate for something a bit longer.

3). If It's Part of A Series, SAY That It's Part of a Series

Though I wanted to tell standalone stories leading up to a big event in my first novel, I thought the stories could stand on their own. I've been asked since the release of the Ring of Asarra is part of a series, and it is. I just hadn't thought to name it when I released it.

I think I'll be better prepared when I release the next installment of the Universal Series. Warblooded will be released sometime next year.

Thanks for reading.


Newsletter subscribers came into this information last night, along with another exclusive. Get announcements, writing advice, and exclusives in your inbox! Sign up for the newsletter at the Road Home!

Avery K Tingle, The Gamer Author

About Avery K Tingle, The Gamer Author -

Author Description here.. Nulla sagittis convallis. Curabitur consequat. Quisque metus enim, venenatis fermentum, mollis in, porta et, nibh. Duis vulputate elit in elit. Mauris dictum libero id justo.

Subscribe to this Blog via Email :