Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Accept Responsibility.

Downtown Seattle By Night. Courtesy of Avery K. Tingle.

While going over my post orders this past weekend at work, a co-worker asked me if I was opening a heavy iron gate before the end of my shift. I told him I wasn't.

He'd asked because opening the gate entails securing a heavy rail to the gate that, if left unsecured, could severely injure someone if it came crashing down. He'd asked everyone about opening this gate and none had claimed responsibility.

I told him that I hadn't been responsible for opening the gate before that night, but to avoid someone being seriously hurt, I would assume responsibility for the task from that point forward. 

It takes two minutes to secure the railing and in those two minutes, I've prevented someone from being seriously hurt or killed, and kept my employer from being sued.

How much could we change our environment if, instead of passing the buck, we simply raised our hands and said "I'll do it."

How much could we change our environment even more if, instead of attempting to deflect attention from our own shortcomings, when we did wrong, again, we raised our hands, stepped forward and said "I did it."

How much could we change our environment if we stopped assigning and started accepting? How much could we benefit if we stopped saying; "That's not my fault," and started saying, "Show me how I can keep from doing that again?"

How much could we change our environment if we accepted our humanity, our errors, and our opportunities to grow and learn?

Thanks for reading.

1 comments:

Christina Carson said...

Amen! What happened to the notion that we are responsible beings and that assuming that responsibility is actually the road to freedom, not burden.