Creative Commons

Friday, May 2, 2014

Avery K Tingle, The Gamer Author

A Guide To Freelancing, Part 1: Introduction




A number of years ago, I was perusing Barnes and Noble in Jefferson City, Missouri. Hoping to score a new world to lose myself in, I came across a familiar title.

I knew it because I had written it.

Not for myself, mind you, but for a client.
I pulled the title from the shelf and my eyes were immediately drawn to the banner letters in large, italicized font;

"New York Times Bestseller"

For a moment, I was stunned; maybe it's not the same book, you know? So I flip through the pages and a cold, hard reality sets in; this is my book. I remember the plotting, the extensive note-taking, the late nights, and that euphoric sensation of completion upon handing in the finished work. I received what I considered was a fair payday, the client was satisfied, and I never looked back.

I'm contractually bound, to this day and every day for the rest of my life, from ever mentioning the title of this book. As far as the world knows, the author of this story is the name on the cover. 

Which is not my name.

While it was a job well done, had I known then what I know now, I may never have had to work in the private sector again.

Freelance writing is an incredibly lucrative career. There are people every single day who earn more than enough to support themselves and a family by following their passions. I have done it myself. 

What you need to know going in is this; getting the work is easy. Maintaining it is hard.

So as we begin this course, I'll explain the various types of freelance writing available, I'll explain how to write the pitch that gets the job, and I'll explain the most important elements of making a full-time living freelance writing, but most importantly, I will illustrate proper planning habits so you don't just land the initial job, but you develop a steady stream of revenue.

Welcome to A Guide To Freelancing. 

Best of luck to you, and thanks for reading.

Avery K Tingle, The Gamer Author

About Avery K Tingle, The Gamer Author -

Author Description here.. Nulla sagittis convallis. Curabitur consequat. Quisque metus enim, venenatis fermentum, mollis in, porta et, nibh. Duis vulputate elit in elit. Mauris dictum libero id justo.

Subscribe to this Blog via Email :