Monday, April 28, 2014

Avery K Tingle, The Gamer Author

Let's Talk About Racism For A Moment.

Image Courtesy of Deadspin


Come back with me a bit. Let's say, oh, about ten years.

I'm living in small-town Michigan at the time, population less than one thousand people. I'm at a small party with a number of new friends when one of the elderly ladies approaches me. In all seriousness and meaning absolutely no disrespect, she says to me; "I'm surprised you would feel comfortable at a place like this."
Having no idea what I'm in for, I finish my drink and ask; "Why?"
She pauses before answering, turning slowly to look at me as though the answer should be obvious. "Because you're black."

I have no idea what to say to that. What really flabbergasts me is that she was not trying to be disrespectful or offensive; this was her way of life. This was normal for her.

I look at the Donald Stirling allegation and I shake my head at the utter stupidity of it all. This is the year 2014. Like it or not, segregation was a long time ago.  Like it or not, there is a black man at the head of the table in the White House. What floors me is that even if you don't like a situation, shouldn't you have the common sense to to accept the passing of your time with dignity, lest, well, you suffer the backlash this man is?

As for me, I grew up colorblind, a benefit of a California upbringing. I could hang with, and dislike, people of all races equally.

I like to think, hope to think, that we are fast approaching a world that sees racism as an insignificant minority. I liken another predator's fate to this situation; the dinosaur. The world (or cosmos) took care of them just fine.

While I hope for no meteors, I pray I live to see the day where the world deals with racism too.

Thanks for reading.

PS: I replied to that woman by saying "Actually, ma'am, I'm tan, which makes you pink." She didn't get the humor and walked away.

Avery K Tingle, The Gamer Author

About Avery K Tingle, The Gamer Author

Author Description here.. Nulla sagittis convallis. Curabitur consequat. Quisque metus enim, venenatis fermentum, mollis in, porta et, nibh. Duis vulputate elit in elit. Mauris dictum libero id justo.

Subscribe to this Blog via Email :

1 comments:

Write comments
David Prosser
AUTHOR
April 30, 2014 at 8:29 PM delete

I think you were very restrained under the circumstances. I'm happy to say not everyone of her generation carries that demon with them, some have evolved quite happily.
xxx Huge Hugs xxx

Reply
avatar