Thursday, March 14, 2013

Two Days With The Galaxy Note II (Part 1)

Samsung Galaxy Note II copyright Samsung.


After being so adamant about going all-Apple with my electronics, I made a last-second decision to forgo the iPhone and run with the Samsung Galaxy Note II. Why, you ask?

I could go on and on about Droid Vs. Apple. They both have their merits and flaws, so let me put it succinctly. Apple is functional and easy right out of the box. Very little thought is required to get things up and running, and most people either love or hate this about Apple. Personally, I love its accessibility.

Droid, hoever, lets you make it your own. If you get a phone with a crappy carrier (yeah, T-Mobile, I'm looking at you) and no memory (your turn to get the death stare, LG GX-2 with Google) then you're gonna hate the experience. 

Get something with some power behind it, and you'll wonder how you ever did without it.

So far, the Samsung Galaxy Note II is the easily the best phone I've ever experienced. It's got a ridiculously long battery life (more on that in a moment), and can handle an inhuman workload. You almost forget it's a phone before someone calls you, revealing what I imagine is a conceded design flaw.

This phone is huge, even by my standards. I have big hands, and I found conversations a little awkward. Call quality is excellent, but using the Galaxy Note in this fashion makes it feel a bit clunky.

As for every day tasks, namely writing? This is where the phone stands above everything else. Writing in Evernote is easy and comfortable. I prefer to hold it like an old game boy, letting my thumbs do the talking. I found it a huge disappointment that the S-Pen does not work with Evernote, and I'm really hoping they fix it in a future update. You can write notes with the S-Pen and then attach your note to a file in Evernote, but it feels like a lot of unnecessary steps. I have yet to find a use for the S-Pen, but it's nice to know it's there.

This phone handles music and video better than any other device on the planet. The customization options for the default music apps tower above anything else I've ever seen and every single setting is distinctly different, from the quiet, acoustically-inspired cafe to the brilliant 7.1 option. 

As for battery life, here you go.

1). I took it off of its charger at 5:30am with a full charge.
2). I spent the day writing, watching Youtube, Facebooking, texting, and listening to music.
3). I returned home nearly twelve hours later and the phone still had roughly forty percent to it.

Of course, I have yet to put it through anything really intensive. Like games. That comes today.

More tonight!

Thank for reading.

4 comments:

Bert Carson said...

Avery,
I'm considering making the switch from my iPhone 3 to a droid - I'm concerned about the size - do you use a belt clip or something else?

Avery Tingle said...

I use the flip cover (about thirty-five dollars). It affixes to the back of the phone and protects the screen very well. With it, I found I didn't need a belt clip. It fits fine in my pocket.

Bert Carson said...

Thanks - next week I plan to bite the bullet, change from AT&T to Verizon and iPhone to the Galaxy.

Avery Tingle said...

I hope you enjoy it. I'd like to know what you think of it. :-)