Blogger news

Wednesday, February 13, 2013

One Sure-Fire Way For Overcoming Writer's Block

Image Courtesy of Novel Matters


We've all had it. We all have our own ways of describing it, and we all have our own ways of dealing with it. For me, it's like a granite block in my stomach that freezes my fingers and sets my mind literally ablaze. The words just stop coming. I can't write anything.

Writer's block.

Truthfully, I don't deal with it so much anymore. Now, I deal with Finishers Block, but we'll talk about that later.

I have a couple of methods of dealing with the dreaded block, neither of them one hundred percent effective;

I walk away. This is my favorite. Just walk around, exercise for a moment, do anything other than writing and the muse usually takes a sledge to the writer's block.

I do dishes. No, I don't hire myself out (this is negotiable). I don't know what it is, but something about soapy water and clean dishes fires the muse right up. Don't judge me.

However, I do have one foolproof, guaranteed way to beat writer's block. Seriously, I've used this method every single time I've gotten stuck on a paticular point.

If you're stuck, that means your writing may have gone wrong.

Writing is a very organic process; that's why a lot of people suggest free-writing as a way to get out of a slump. If you start trying to take too much control over your story, you may find yourself jammed up. 

So if you find yourself confronted by writer's block, here's what I suggest.

1). Stop writing.

2). Look over the last two paragraphs (or sentences, words, whatever) that you just wrote. Chances are you will find at least one aspect you are dissatisfied with.

3). Delete said dissatisfaction and start over.

I've been doing this for a few months now and I haven't encountered writers block since. Remember, this process is supposed to happen naturally, and you can easily get in your own way by over-thinking or trying to wrest control from your characters.

Thanks for reading and good luck.

0 comments: