Thursday, January 3, 2013

Writing Goals 2013




2012 was a pretty good year, writing wise. I finally found my niche as a blogger and released one novelette. I still have a debilitating fear of success, and I wonder if I'd been able to get past that, would I have been able to do more with my career in 2012.

I also learned, concretely, that people are listening. I posted dossiers of Atherean Defender's key characters. Reginald and Jayden respectively scored about fifty hits each. Lihua, however, scored well over one hundred and fifty, and people still appear to be checking her out.

So I changed the way Atherean Defenders read, and I completed its first draft during last year's NaNoWriMo. Here's what I hope to accomplish this year.

1). RELEASE THREE BOOKS.
Tall order for any writer, even more so for one with a fear of success. NaNoWriMo has a way of bolstering confidence and I'm still riding high on that. I'd like to release ATHEREAN DEFENDERS by the end of March, ZURIEL (scifi) by the end of August, and HEIR TO FIRE (the sequel to Atherean Defenders) by the end of the year. Like I said, tall order, so I'll settle for ATHEREAN DEFENDERS and ZURIEL.

2). CONTINUE GROWING THE ROAD HOME
The blog averages approximately a thousand hits a month and is growing. Yesterday was the first day I hit over two hundred hits in a single day. I plan to focus more on the creative process and to a lesser extent, the adventures I have in every day life. It seems to be resonating with certain people and I'd like to build on that. By the end of the year, I'd like to be averaging between five to ten thousand hits per month. I'd also like to expand into podcasting and vlogging, if I can get decent enough equipment for it. I'm going to start providing audio narratives for my work next week, so there's a step in that direction.

3). SHORT STORIES, NO SERIES
Every time I try to do a series, I get bogged down and lose interest. Simple, standalone short stories are much easier to produce and less time consuming.

Of course, I'd like to expand way beyond that, but I'm about to return to work and I'm learning to pace myself. This is just to start off. I'll see where things are at the middle of the year and evaluate from there.

I still consider myself to be very new at this. I love suggestions, engagement, and feedback. If you have any goals, I invite you to share them here. I'd love to know how everyone else is going about the fulfillment of their dreams.

Good luck, and thanks for reading.

0 comments: