Monday, December 24, 2012

Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays, and a Very Prosperous New Year


Forgive me if this feels a little off (even for me). I'm dealing a fever, bronchitis, and determination in getting this final blog of the year out.

And it's been one hell of a year, hasn't it?

I can't recall a year where there has been so much violence in the world (either that or I simply wasn't paying attention). Aurora, Newtown...just what the hell is happening to us?

And more importantly, when are we going to stop spewing off and start solving the problem?

I know what I'm going to do.

I'm Done Fighting.
I was in the local Fred Meyer not too long ago when I overheard this short, obese guy loudly yelling down some poor old lady. When I advised him, as politely as I could, to leave her alone, he turned on me and cited a comic book character as he threatened to basically whip my ass.
Now, did I want to take him apart? Absolutely, and I know I could've too. Did I? No. Did I feel like a punk for walking away even as he hurled insults at me, with the eyes of so many spectators burning into me? Yes. Absolutely. I still do.

But.

If I punch him, I go to jail. I lose everything I've worked my tail off for to this point, and worse, I contribute to the problem of violence--real violence with real consequences--in our society. So I walked away. Went home. Did a bunch of physical exercise. But I stayed out of jail. Everyone went home.

So...that's how I choose to handle things from now on. Unless myself or someone I love is directly threatened, I'm going to walk away.

Thanks to you, I've also figured out which direction to take this blog. Which leads me to my next and final point;

The Road Home
Starting in 2013, this blog is going to more aggressively focus on brand-management (Universal Warrior), the writing process, and dream-chasing in the real world. I'll also spend a lot more time on short stories and flash fiction (something I recommend every writer try), and getting known on social media. I'll still provide the occasional slice-of-life entry based on my experiences.

 The goal is to become a self-sustained content creator within the next three years. I will make mistakes, stumble, and eventually, hit upon something that allows me to succeed. I invite you to read and follow along.

For fans, I'll also have a huge update on ATHEREAN DEFENDERS (yes, I promise it's coming) as the first blog of next year.

I want to wish all of you a very Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays, and a Blessed New Year in which all of your dreams come true. Till 2013, God bless, be safe, love one another.

Thanks for reading and supporting.

2 comments:

cinemaprofound said...

Dear Avery: Wow. I am really moved by your life's journey thus far. Pretty amazing that you survived that many years on the streets. I spent three months in my car, so I have an idea of what you have accomplished. I am so happy to hear that your story has had a happy ending. It gives me hope that mine will too. May you and your loved ones be richly blessed in 2013. It's great to meet you on Twitter. Thanks for the follow @Fey1IsleofSkye. I'll be reciprocating.

Avery Tingle said...

Hello!

Thank you for taking a few moments to read and comment. For whatever its worth, I genuinely believe that if you keep plugging away, no matter what you encounter, then your story WILL indeed have a happy ending. I'm still writing mine. :-)
Thanks again, and best of luck to you in 2013 and beyond.