Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Avery K Tingle, The Gamer Author

How I Got Banned From Reddit


Well, a subreddit, to be fair. But it's all well and good until someone gets kicked off the net, right?

May I tell you how it happened, in hopes you won't repeat my error?

I check my blog stats several times a day. As traffic increased, I was surprised to find that the number one source for my blog traffic came from Reddit, where I had little presence and knew no one. I had even posted a character profile for Universal Warrior that was voted up ten times and viewed over a hundred times on the blog.

I found this surprising and encouraging. It's one thing if friends and family are checking you out, but if perfect strangers are coming back for more, I figured I must be doing something right. And I was, but at the same time, I was missing the details, and I was about to pay a price for it.

I use shareaholic from Google Chrome in order to share my posts. I was never on Reddit before; I simply shared my stuff, and if something caught my eye, I'd vote it up. The traffic kept coming. I kept sharing. Blogging several times a week meant that I was sharing content to Reddit far too frequently without paying it forward.

I didn't notice anything was wrong until reddit told me that I couldn't post in fantasy anymore. I thought something was wrong with my computer. When the problem persisted, I took a good, long look at Reddit. I saw then that Reddit has an inbox, and I had new mail in said inbox. You can probably guess what it said.

Inside was a letter stating I'd been banned from the subreddit. Two days prior, I'd received a letter warning me that such action would occur if I did not read, and aside by, the reddit rules and regulations.

Oops. Yeah. So, there's that.

I wrote an apology letter to the moderator, but I haven't heard back yet, and I don't expect too.

Moral of the story? READ AND LEARN THE RULES OF A SITE BEFORE YOU START SPAMMING ALL OVER THE SITE.

Thanks for reading.

Avery K Tingle, The Gamer Author

About Avery K Tingle, The Gamer Author

Author Description here.. Nulla sagittis convallis. Curabitur consequat. Quisque metus enim, venenatis fermentum, mollis in, porta et, nibh. Duis vulputate elit in elit. Mauris dictum libero id justo.

Subscribe to this Blog via Email :