Monday, October 29, 2012

Avery K Tingle, The Gamer Author

NaNoWriMo Then and Now



I first did NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month) in 2008, and it changed everything for me. Back then, I had no idea what I wanted to do with myself. I was thirty-two years old and had a ton of ideas in my head that I wanted to get out.

Having no idea what a word count even was, I shrugged off the idea of writing fifty thousand words in a month. I quickly realized what an undertaking this was as time went on, but it wasn't exhausting; it was exhilarating.

I got so lost in NaNoWriMo that I nearly lost my real job (that would come later). By the end of November, I had completed NaNoWriMo, had about half of a novel under my belt and a certificate that now resides on my wall.


A little time and a lot of close calls later, I had boatload of freelancing experience under my belt and a contract from Journalstone to publish a novel in the Universal Warrior series. 

To date, I have one published novelette on the market, and a growing brand with a reputation as a professional ghostwriter. I didn't expect to advance far on my career in a year, but truthfully, I hoped to be a bit further along than this.

The first time I did NaNoWriMo, it jump-started my career. I don't hold any expectations this time around, except to finish the fifty thousand words in thirty days.

Of course I have things I'd like to accomplish beyond that, but one thing at a time. Get through November. Finish the word count.

Then see what happens.

Thanks for reading, and good luck to everyone participating in this years NaNoWriMo.


Avery K Tingle, The Gamer Author

About Avery K Tingle, The Gamer Author

Author Description here.. Nulla sagittis convallis. Curabitur consequat. Quisque metus enim, venenatis fermentum, mollis in, porta et, nibh. Duis vulputate elit in elit. Mauris dictum libero id justo.

Subscribe to this Blog via Email :