Sunday, October 12, 2008

Putting Fun First

If I have to pick an upside from this last week, it's that I finally got to sit down and play more than I have all year. With no laptop, I took my PS2 into work and got back into Madden, the Art of Fighting Anthology (man oh man did they screw the pit bull on part three), and finally, seriously, got into Metal Gear Solid 3.

One week straight, almost nothing but playing. I very seriously thank God each night that I can do this.
The sights, the sounds, the immersion (the idiocy, in some cases. I'M TALKING ABOUT YOU, ART OF FIGHTING 3!!!), and the sheer, utter joy of being able to let everything hang out in a virtual world. To be an MVP, a fighter whose skills border on the supernatural, and a skilled assassin, all within one hour. It was the first time in a long time I remembered why I got into this line of work!

On a quick hit; Hideo Kojima is almost a master storyteller and you can see it in his work. He's onto something big and he knows it. Playing the Metal Gear franchise, from a writer's perspective, is like watching a basketball circle a hoop in the closing seconds of a game. He's got it, he knows what he's looking for, but as of part three he hasn't quite found that missing link between storytelling and gameplay. He comes closer than anybody before him, but he's not quite there yet. This is just my humble, unpublished opinion of a great man's work.

You know, the world doesn't make a lot of sense to me, but games do. Games are pure and absolute to me. They all boil down to the same thing, told in millions of variants; you either complete an objective, or you win. If you fail at either of those, there are no real consequences. Usually, no one gets hurt, no one dies, you just hit the reset button and go again. It's simple it's pure, and more and more people are catching on.

Think about it. Where else can you unload a full clip into someone and not only avoid incarceration, but make it look cool, and get rewarded.
Now, see, most people have enough common fucking sense to know that the game ends when the power goes off, but the few that don't get the zealots and conservatives something to scream about. It's the perversion of the game that makes me sick. You take something that's meant to be great, and fun, and you turn it into a fucking tragedy. Those people need to be shot. From the nuts up.

Above the whole Terry-Bogard-idolization, video games have taught me my most important lesson; dammit, have fun with your life. Laugh every day. Make light of things, because everything gets taken care of (as long as you're willing to work). Put fun first.

I've been working at Modern Magic almost as long as I was on the street, and yeah, I may have failed half a dozen times, but I learned from each one of those failures and I had a blast doing it. Things are rough now, and I'm still having fun. If this ever becomes un-fun, then I'll find another line of work.

I'll keep this up until the day I die because I sincerely believe it was what God put me here to do, and despite all the hardships, trials, and tribulations, dammit, I am having the time of my life and I wouldn't trade any of it for anything. This is the only life I have and I'm gonna cram as much goofiness into it as I possibly can.

But this is just me, and I'm happy as hell to have a roof over my head, full cable and internet, a comfortable bed, food in the fridge, two healthy children, parents that love me, kick-ass friends, a girl that loves me, and a blood sugar that is very slowly coming down.

And I got my laptop back.

What the hell do I have to complain about?

I'm having fun.

0 comments: