Creative Commons

Friday, July 18, 2008

Avery K Tingle, The Gamer Author

The Last Big Crossroads

I'm going to be brutally honest here, and hope it helps. I have a BIG problem with procrastination. The reason why is that I am utterly terrified of success.

Here's what I mean.
My job is a breeze. I have to sit at a desk and watch computer monitors for eight hours (when they work). I am welcomed, even encouraged, to pursue outside interests, so this is the perfect job for me to sit my ass down and get a buttload of writing done. I have no shortage of work. I can work on the outline for Heir to Fire, I can work on the novel I've been hired to work on, I can edit the script for Faithless, I can work on the GDD for Oppression, hell, I can even work on Batman: Immortal if I get bored.

My problem is I always find something, some reason, not to do it. I'm lucky if I get two nights a week in where I really get something done. I spend a lot of time bullshitting with the residents and feeling guilty and mad as hell when the night is done.

People I respect have read my stories, heard my ideas, and thought they were great and worth pursuing. A long time ago, I even had a corporation ready to invest money into me if I was willing to relocate. Eons ago, a lot of people heard what I had to say and waited for me to make it happen.

I failed.

I'm not sure when my number is up. I'm an unmedicated type-two diabetic, which is a leading killer of black men in America. I'm not supposed to be healthy by the time I reach my mid-forties. I'm thirty-one now.
Let's say I get Faithless done on time, I will be close to thirty-three by the time it's available.

I have spent more time lately leveling up my characters in a game no one cares about than getting actual work done.
I have begun to ask myself if this is what I really want.

I think anyone can live easily, to just do what they want, when they want, and not worry about the consequences. I think too many people adopting that mentality have turned this country in the wrong direction (sic; Family Guy: We Lost The Morals, But We Kept The Weed). I used to live this way too, but I have also come to realize that I can't afford to be selfish as a parent, and I have to take the consequences of my actions into account.

It's not just about me anymore.
So here I stand. On one end, I can live easily at this job, in this apartment, for the rest of my life, or I can put my mind to the long-envisioned Modern Magic and make it fucking happen.

I'm sick of feeling like this, though.
I need to make a decision.

Avery K Tingle, The Gamer Author

About Avery K Tingle, The Gamer Author -

Author Description here.. Nulla sagittis convallis. Curabitur consequat. Quisque metus enim, venenatis fermentum, mollis in, porta et, nibh. Duis vulputate elit in elit. Mauris dictum libero id justo.

Subscribe to this Blog via Email :

1 comments:

Write comments
Soulhuntre
AUTHOR
July 18, 2008 at 4:42 AM delete

You may find some posts on my blog interesting - there are too many of them in this vein... but here are the ones you might find camaraderie in.

http://www.soulhuntre.com/2000/08/09/wake-up-its-time/

http://www.soulhuntre.com/2003/01/04/the-new-years-post/

http://www.soulhuntre.com/2002/03/01/castles-and-taxis/

Reply
avatar