Friday, July 11, 2008

Inter-Corporate Incompatibility...WTF???

First, let me say how much I love my Zune. I don't know what I'd do without it. It's always on my arm, I love how much it holds for how little I paid (nearly 2/3 of my music collection are on it) and I love how I can turn my favorite shows into videos and watch them on the fly. I love how all of my podcasts are readily available for quick trips to the bathroom. No, this isn't me complaining about the Zune.

Here's what I don't get. Why in the hell isn't the Zune compatible with Windows Media Player?
I should probably say now that I don't have much of a problem with the Zune software, save that it keeps freezing on me. It's pretty easy to learn. But I don't understand something. Windows Media comes from the same corporation that manufactures the Zune. Windows Media Player is completely free so long as your software is valid. Windows Media Player is also something the majority of us are familiar with even if it isn't so dominant anymore.

I think MS is on to something by fostering a community for its users to trade music (for a reasonable piece of your income) but I think the software would have been much better as an add-on to Windows Media instead of forcing us to download yet another resource-consuming piece of software.

Doesn't make much sense to me. Competition is healthy for business sure, but what do you get when you compete against yourself? Think about it; has Madden undergone any significant improvements since EA forced 989 and everyone else out of the game?

But that's just me.

1 comments:

Soulhuntre said...

The issue is "totality of experience". A bolt on to WMP would be bound by the WMP UI and frankly, the iTunes folks would hate it. Additionally, it would force the Zune team to be beholden to managerial and market pressures of a whole other product as well.

The look and feel issues would have been the death of the Zune.

For me, the Zune software is the successor to WMP. I am not sure what I need the old one for.

My big question is when will my Zune library be available via Media Center and when will it support Audible.com