Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Avery K Tingle, The Gamer Author

FISA, Google/YouTube, Death of the Constitution

First off, I'm not a political person. I follow campaigns on the fringes because truthfully, I don't have any faith in politicians, not even the almighty Obama. I think politicians are like kids at Christmas; they're on their best behavior once a year (or four) but the rest of the time, they're mean lil bastards. Having said that...

I'm catching up on my newsfeed when the lovely Alison Haislip goes into a story about FISA, warrantless wiretapping, and the like. Apparently one of the new amendments would allow the government to monitor any US citizen outside of the United States with the president's permission (yeah, that makes me feel loads better).

Now, I acknowledge the work both parties put in to make this bill remotely passable, but doesn't this take just one more slice of what little privacy we have left away? Sure, only the President can authorize a warrantless wiretap, but his decisions don't come without influence. And those in power are not known for influencing on behalf of the people.

There's also something going around about Google wanting Youtube to give up the username, IP address and every video that person has watched to police copyright infringement. Youtube is fighting it.

How is warning people not to watch copywritten material going to stop those who upload it in the first place? Does anyone ever ask this stuff?

What makes me mad, and I am doing my best to keep my temper out of this blog, as that I think I'm the only person who sees something wrong here. What happened to privacy? Or, following the (outdated) letter of the law, why not go after the people who upload copywritten material instead of persecuting those of us who watch it?
It reminds me of Columbine, when everyone was so quick to point the finger at Id and Doom and no one took a look at the parents. We are a people who not only avoid taking responsibility for our own actions, we refuse to.

When did we become so paranoid that every little word we spoke had to be monitored for even the slightest chance it might bring harm to the nation? I think it was around September 11, 2001...

It makes me sick. Sorry I can't think of a better close, but to me, it's disgusting, and it makes me shudder to think where we might be ten years from now at this rate.

Avery K Tingle, The Gamer Author

About Avery K Tingle, The Gamer Author

Author Description here.. Nulla sagittis convallis. Curabitur consequat. Quisque metus enim, venenatis fermentum, mollis in, porta et, nibh. Duis vulputate elit in elit. Mauris dictum libero id justo.

Subscribe to this Blog via Email :