Creative Commons

Monday, June 16, 2008

Avery K Tingle, The Gamer Author

Modern Magic's First Game

“Flight 271” is a top-down, 2D shooter that is my tribute to old-school space shooters. The objective is to blast your way through five levels until the end-all-be-all final confrontation with the big boss that represents all things evil.

And….that’s it.

Keeping with the company’s mission statement, there is a story attached; you play a single pilot who has obtained data needed to bring down the vile Tethoy alien race, who has long controlled the galaxy. Of course, they’re not gonna let you go without a fight, and they’ve sent all sorts of baddies to bring you down before you escape—one of which is meant to scare the holy hell out of the player. It’s part of a trilogy I’m writing with Jake, who is planning the sequel, tentatively named “Survival Instinct” has the pilot continuing the story.

I’m also trying out a new business model. I want to release these games exclusively in what I call the “99 cent depot” which is, quite simply, casual games aimed at portably devices available for only ninety-nine cents. Now, as I’m using the Torque engine to make these games, I doubt Garage Games will let me get away with that, but the idea of making cheap, quality games that anyone can play is something I’d like to explore.

If I have my way, I’d like to make this trilogy available for portable phones more than anything else. To be bluntly honest, there’s no originality here; my concept is inspired by the kind of games I used to play when I was a kid. The goal is not to make a ton of money. It’s to say that this company finishes what it starts. Considering what’s been put on Xbox Live and the like, I don’t know if I can compete. Not that it’s gonna stop me from trying. ;)

Going into this, I’m a little conflicted. I don’t like putting something out that doesn’t seem like it needs a lot of effort (then again, I haven’t put it together yet), and I really don’t like putting something out that doesn’t offer a deep story (I suppose something is better than nothing, tough).

But at least if we accomplish this, I’ll have proven that I do know how to make games, and I guess you have to crawl before you can walk, right?

Development is supposed to begin roughly August 1st, I’ll post updates.

Avery K Tingle, The Gamer Author

About Avery K Tingle, The Gamer Author -

Author Description here.. Nulla sagittis convallis. Curabitur consequat. Quisque metus enim, venenatis fermentum, mollis in, porta et, nibh. Duis vulputate elit in elit. Mauris dictum libero id justo.

Subscribe to this Blog via Email :